Frequency of workouts while on a cycle?

Forums ANABOLIC STEROIDS – QUESTIONS & ANSWERS Frequency of workouts while on a cycle?

On a var cycle right now. Was planning on working out 6 days per week (3 day split twice per week). I have done this before both on and off a cycle and got great gains both times.

Now I just read this on another forum, which I have a feeling is against the rules to post, so I’ll just quote the post itself.

"Those who use steroids will increase the duration of protein synthesis, so they can lift once and they will see the anabolic effect for much longer. Hence why they can lift once per week, and get a longer benefit from it; they are artificially increasing their rates of protein synthesis, and they get greater benefit from higher volume in a given day (for natties – each additional lift for a given muscle group will yield less benefit).

Those who are natural, on the other hand, will see rates of protein synthesis lasting for 24-48 hours. Once you’re back at baseline, you are good to go again. Because it does not last as long as those with the synthetic help, you can and SHOULD increase your frequency for a larger cumulative protein synthesis effect in a given week. Lifting 2-3x per muscle group per week = optimal for natties. 2x per week being a good standard, 3x per week for muscle groups that are lagging. Often people will do squats 3x per week and see enormous benefits, for example.

More frequency for natties."

So is this BS or true?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Replies
    arrrrrd
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_beardView
    Ask ANYONE who’s adjusted their volume to allow for more frequency whether or not they’ve seen better muscle/ strength gains or not, and you’ll find the answer is always YES. But not everyone can do it. It took me nearly 2 months to make the transition from 1 body part split to training everything twice a week . Once you get your body in tune, the results are undeniably better.

Don’t get me wrong, you can still see gains doing what you’re doing. But you’re not maximizing your results. Your training can be effective, but doesn’t mean it’s efficient.

So Sick Beard, would you share your work out schd? Im on a 1x week hit everything Natty, ready to start cycle in Feb and would be interested in what your’s looks like

Sick_beard
    Quote Originally Posted by arrrrrdView
    So Sick Beard, would you share your work out schd? Im on a 1x week hit everything Natty, ready to start cycle in Feb and would be interested in what your’s looks like

The important point to take here is that increased frequency will yield better results. Doing full body workouts 3 times a week will give the best results to any beginner. Another strategy that works is to do one day upper body, one day lower body, rest and repeat. I think both of these work great even up to the intermediate/ advanced level.

What I followed in the past with great results was the push/pull/ leg workout routine split. Doing all three in a row, then take a day’s rest, and repeat. You will also find that most competitive natural TrueMaxders will follow something similar with their own personalized variation, depending on their goals. You will find plenty of examples of push/ pull routines to give you an idea.

paul74
    I also do my cardio and my abs everyday if I can. You will find as he said all variations and what works for one might not work for someone else that stands to reason. So after a few months and years everyone finds what works best. The important thing (for me) is to work each muscle, each group, twice in a 6 day week. Always having one (1) day of complete rest for my overall recovery. It was like that when I was young. When I didn’t take the day complete off once a week I would be over training (for me) and get to fatigued. I would even loose my appetite and energy. Then never getting back to hard intense workouts.

I’ve been fortunate that my life and my career n work n family always lent itself to me being totally worn out at the end of my training sessions…mike

RAU
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear 79View
    Because the muscles recover so quickly on cycle, this is my on cycle routine, I have made unbelievable gains on this regime.

Day 1: Chest & Traps

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Arms & Legs

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Back & Shoulders

Day 6: Chest & Traps

Day 7: Rest

Day 8: Arms & Shoulders

*Abs & Cardio everyday

My back & legs always grow larger & faster than the rest of me so I only work them once a week.

Arms and legs same day. This is a first and because you listed arms first my guess is you train them first.

warmouth
    Ask ANYONE who’s adjusted their volume to allow for more frequency whether or not they’ve seen better muscle/ strength gains or not, and you’ll find the answer is always YES. But not everyone can do it. It took me nearly 2 months to make the transition from 1 body part split to training everything twice a week . Once you get your body in tune, the results are undeniably better.

Don’t get me wrong, you can still see gains doing what you’re doing. But you’re not maximizing your results. Your training can be effective, but doesn’t mean it’s efficient.

Lol.

GrieVeR-13
    I just changed to the STS training(2xs a week) about 10 weeks ago. I am not on anything right now and can see my arms/ chest growing and my legs have started showing definition.Not trying to hyjack thread but when I was on cycle about 8 mos ago I noticed I didnt hurt like I do while off cycle. It sounds like you guys are still sore while on cycle. Is that correct? Just wondering if I may not have been pushing myself. I did gain about 20 lbs and decreased bf% by about 2%.
    warmouth

Keep in mind I am in no way tryingto be a smart a**, I just think it should be said that because you read that your way is good, or just think your way is good, that doesnt mean it works for everyone equally. Same with AAS. For some guys, they cant handle certain compounds, or the compounds just ist as effective. Once a week is the norm, but as you can see, alot of more experienced members here all do completely different workouts. No one person does the same, and they will swear by their splits because they work for them. Not, after reading over some of your threads, here is the comparison I would like to make. I have a pro giving me pretty much the workout plan he THINKS will benefit me, and it is his current workout. And he is my trainer. Look at his picture, then look at yours. Who do you think I am going to listen too?
    or
    Now, I am not saying you are wrong for you, I am just saying that you are wrong for alot of other people who wont benefit from your split. I tend to take advice from guys who have had years of training experience because they have learned from their mistakes and try to persuade their friends on what to do and not do. You will learn what works best for you eventually, just like me. From what I have been doing, I have put on 25 lbs in 1 year of the plan I am on. I dont think it is not efficient for me, do you? Age does play a big part in decisions. Like me, I was 29 when I ran my first cycle because I knew the risks of doing it too young. Alot of these youngsters here "want it now, and to hell with waiting" and that is what it is. Like I said, not trying to be rude or an a hole, just stating the facts.

The Bear 79
    Quote Originally Posted by RAUView
    Arms and legs same day. This is a first and because you listed arms first my guess is you train them first.

Yes, the routine follows the written pattern.

I do admit this regime is a bit odd, but I’m walking proof that it works VERY well.

Sick_beard
    Quote Originally Posted by GrieVeR-13View
    I just changed to the STS training(2xs a week) about 10 weeks ago. I am not on anything right now and can see my arms/ chest growing and my legs have started showing definition.Not trying to hyjack thread but when I was on cycle about 8 mos ago I noticed I didnt hurt like I do while off cycle. It sounds like you guys are still sore while on cycle. Is that correct? Just wondering if I may not have been pushing myself. I did gain about 20 lbs and decreased bf% by about 2%.

Being sore has nothing to do with muscle growth. When you train more frequently, research shows that your muscles will adapt and recover faster. That’s why I notice with increased frequency soreness is not as bad. But whenever I train less frequently, I start getting soreness.

paul74
    Being sore has nothing to do with muscle growth. When you train more frequently, research shows that your muscles will adapt and recover faster. That’s why I notice with increased frequency soreness is not as bad. But whenever I train less frequently, I start getting soreness.

As I said your muscles will, in very short time go from recovery to (with a grain of salt) atrophy. So in that fine line less frequency will promote that soreness (i think ur talking) because of going from in and out of slight atrophy. Its like a rolling start or a dead start. Ya know just what he and most all of us say it is what works for you and again, patience, it take time. Your not going anywhere fast in the great picture. Simple principals about the muscle growth. For me, no pain no gain. I gain when I go from pain to recovery n pain, leaving little time for any atrophy. …not so paul74

paul74
    Quote Originally Posted by paul74View
    [/U][/B][/B][/B]

As I said your muscles will, in very short time go from recovery to (with a grain of salt) atrophy. So in that fine line less frequency will promote that soreness (i think ur talking) because of going from in and out of slight atrophy. Its like a rolling start or a dead start. Ya know just what he and most all of us say it is what works for you and again, patience, it take time. Your not going anywhere fast in the great picture. Simple principals about the muscle growth. For me, no pain no gain. I gain when I go from pain to recovery n pain, leaving little time for any atrophy. …not so paul74

I disagree with the statement that muscle soreness has nothing to do with muscle growth. B*LL SH*T. I’m sure we all are above me writing a dissertation on TrueMaxding 101 and how the body promotes muscle growth through exercise. Putting it simply without all he details of the rest , diet, training details a muscle will get larger n stronger by a process of repair and necessity. By straining the muscle we cause tissue damage, thus pain. So the body mends it self. Then we keep increasing the load and the body starts to grow more tissue (mass) to be able to consistently handle the increased load. We do it again and again. More damage (pain) more healing, more load more building (growth) and all the time getting sore from the tama. The people that train with little frequency and intensity do not grow much muscle mass and strength. Really It’s a very simple if you understand very basic principals of muscle growth. If on a cycle I would be stupid to not train like a MF er and stay sore as long as I know I am getting enough time for recover and before atrophy.

Also take note of my use of the word consistently . When I said that if the load is increased consistently the muscle will need more and more fibers. This shows that the workouts will have to be CONSISTENT and frequent or the body just has no call for growth……… Wow…..NOT SO paul74

Sick_beard
    @ Mike: I agree with everything you said, except the part about soreness. No soreness is required for muscle growth. In fact, I find that it hinders my next day’s training to be sore after a workout. Unless you’re a complete beginner, I see soreness as a sign of slow recovery or too much volume. Nothing more, nothing less.
    panntastic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_beard
    @ Mike: I agree with everything you said, except the part about soreness. No soreness is required for muscle growth. In fact, I find that it hinders my next day’s training to be sore after a workout. Unless you’re a complete beginner, I see soreness as a sign of slow recovery or too much volume. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is beyond me but where does the saying
    "No pain no gain" originate?

Andro27
    Great debate guys very interested!
    panntastic
    It would be good to hear from some of the bigger guys like Marcus or Bear on their theory of training for growth.
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.