Frequency of workouts while on a cycle?

Forums ANABOLIC STEROIDS – QUESTIONS & ANSWERS Frequency of workouts while on a cycle?

On a var cycle right now. Was planning on working out 6 days per week (3 day split twice per week). I have done this before both on and off a cycle and got great gains both times.

Now I just read this on another forum, which I have a feeling is against the rules to post, so I’ll just quote the post itself.

"Those who use steroids will increase the duration of protein synthesis, so they can lift once and they will see the anabolic effect for much longer. Hence why they can lift once per week, and get a longer benefit from it; they are artificially increasing their rates of protein synthesis, and they get greater benefit from higher volume in a given day (for natties – each additional lift for a given muscle group will yield less benefit).

Those who are natural, on the other hand, will see rates of protein synthesis lasting for 24-48 hours. Once you’re back at baseline, you are good to go again. Because it does not last as long as those with the synthetic help, you can and SHOULD increase your frequency for a larger cumulative protein synthesis effect in a given week. Lifting 2-3x per muscle group per week = optimal for natties. 2x per week being a good standard, 3x per week for muscle groups that are lagging. Often people will do squats 3x per week and see enormous benefits, for example.

More frequency for natties."

So is this BS or true?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Replies
    Sick_beard
    I always wondered about this too. Protein synthesis is elevated for longer when you’re on cycle, but you also recover much faster at the same time.

I THINK the solution is to keep frequency the same as natty training (stimulate each muscle group more or less twice a week), but also increase volume while on cycle because you’ll be able to get away with it.

SAGIKUN
    If you where going for strength i would say yes, I only say this because it has been the case for me, especially when natty though, go figure.
    WB1
    Yes meaning yes it’s smart to work out twice per week while on a cycle?
    stpete
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1View
    On a var cycle right now. Was planning on working out 6 days per week (3 day split twice per week). I have done this before both on and off a cycle and got great gains both times.

Now I just read this on another forum, which I have a feeling is against the rules to post, so I’ll just quote the post itself.

"Those who use steroids will increase the duration of protein synthesis, so they can lift once and they will see the anabolic effect for much longer. Hence why they can lift once per week, and get a longer benefit from it; they are artificially increasing their rates of protein synthesis, and they get greater benefit from higher volume in a given day (for natties – each additional lift for a given muscle group will yield less benefit).

Those who are natural, on the other hand, will see rates of protein synthesis lasting for 24-48 hours. Once you’re back at baseline, you are good to go again. Because it does not last as long as those with the synthetic help, you can and SHOULD increase your frequency for a larger cumulative protein synthesis effect in a given week. Lifting 2-3x per muscle group per week = optimal for natties. 2x per week being a good standard, 3x per week for muscle groups that are lagging. Often people will do squats 3x per week and see enormous benefits, for example.

More frequency for natties."

So is this BS or true?

Introduce me to anyone doing Squats 3x per week and i’ll show you a person that can’t even spell "squat."

BS!

SAGIKUN
    For me yes, it’s works the best, I have been through a lot of trial and error over 25 yrs, so what works best for me may not for someone else. But when I was graduating highschool and everyone was cycling I was not, I weighed 198 benched 375 squatted 550, and powered cleaned 275 natty. You know what I mean bro THis is all advise not carved(everyones words) in stone u try different shit AT DIFFERENT TIMES AND FIND WHAT WORKS BEST FOR U!
    SAGIKUN
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1View
    Yes meaning yes it’s smart to work out twice per week while on a cycle?

And no, twice each body part..depends, I try to go 6x per week and may only work out 1body part sometimes, some days just cardio, I’m lucky if I can get 3days in a row, age, work, life…do your best, train HARD.

Sick_beard
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteView
    Introduce me to anyone doing Squats 3x per week and i’ll show you a person that can’t even spell "squat."

BS!

If you adjust your volume accordingly, yes you can squat 3x a week. And if you’re training natty, you will see better muscle/ strength gains this way than let’s say doing squats once a week to the point of fatigue.

As the OP mentions, training naturally, protein synthesis peaks after 24 hours and by 48 it’s pretty much back to baseline. After that you need to retain the muscle to reap max benefits.

The Bear 79
    Because the muscles recover so quickly on cycle, this is my on cycle routine, I have made unbelievable gains on this regime.

Day 1: Chest & Traps

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Arms & Legs

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Back & Shoulders

Day 6: Chest & Traps

Day 7: Rest

Day 8: Arms & Shoulders

*Abs & Cardio everyday

My back & legs always grow larger & faster than the rest of me so I only work them once a week.

paul74
    I say yes to twice. But the real mitigating factor for me and I think this is the TRUTH for good growth. When I over exert a muscle to the point of breaking it down (in the gym) I must rest to let it repair itself (grow). Adequate rest must be given for this to happen. So my body pain level will let me know when that muscle has recovered. Now to promote good and fast growth I must do this again before my muscle has time to start to go into atrophy. What I was told and found out to be true in my experience, is that my muscle will begin to start atrophy in 36 hours after recovery. With the added testosterone I can work harder, lift heavier, for more duration thus promoting more of the breakdown. Since I recover much quicker it lets me redo this process much quicker and promote growth and not stunt growth. A good hard train of a muscle should promote soreness for 72 hrs and then be ready to do it again before atrophy. I never changed my strategy from on or off, except with the knowledge that to get the most out of a steroid I have to take advantage of the extra strength, stamina and quicker recovery time to maximize my gains. Since I have worked the muscle harder and created more damage I must get more rest. That means better quality sleep rest. Be smart, push it, but let you body determine. Good growth for me is always to be sore and tight, if not I’m into atrophy

paul74
    Hey "Bear" ecto’s like me don’t grow well with that much time in between. but that’s me. I hope i didn’t through anyone off. …paul74 ?
    warmouth
    Personally, I like once a week on or off. No rhyme or reason other than I like to lift 4 days a week, maybe 1 or 2 days of abs, forearms, and calves (calves are 2x weekly as I do them on leg day). As far as squatting 3x weekly, BS all the way. Unless you are squatting at 30-40% on the first day and doing 1 low rep set, then upping to 50% the second and doing the same. Legs take so much out of me, they are the only group I work on that day. I am exhausted after I do legs. I couldnt imagine doing them more than once a week.
    Sick_beard
    Quote Originally Posted by paul74View
    I say yes to twice. But the real mitigating factor for me and I think this is the TRUTH for good growth. When I over exert a muscle to the point of breaking it down (in the gym) I must rest to let it repair itself (grow). Adequate rest must be given for this to happen. So my body pain level will let me know when that muscle has recovered. Now to promote good and fast growth I must do this again before my muscle has time to start to go into atrophy. What I was told and found out to be true in my experience, is that my muscle will begin to start atrophy in 36 hours after recovery. With the added testosterone I can work harder, lift heavier, for more duration thus promoting more of the breakdown. Since I recover much quicker it lets me redo this process much quicker and promote growth and not stunt growth. A good hard train of a muscle should promote soreness for 72 hrs and then be ready to do it again before atrophy. I never changed my strategy from on or off, except with the knowledge that to get the most out of a steroid I have to take advantage of the extra strength, stamina and quicker recovery time to maximize my gains. Since I have worked the muscle harder and created more damage I must get more rest. That means better quality sleep rest. Be smart, push it, but let you body determine. Good growth for me is always to be sore and tight, if not I’m into atrophy

Most people don’t realize that you have to rest anywhere from 2 – 5 mins between sets to maximize the load and tension you can put on the muscle during each set. I’ve heard it said time and time again to rest no more than 30 sec – 1 min between sets… That’s great if your goal is to increase endurance, but for hypertrophy/ strength training, the longer you rest between sets the better (but of course not to the extreme point where you have to warm up all over again).

paul74
    Agree with that…..mike
    paul74
    Workout starting primary the secondary
    Day 1: chest/ traps
    Day 2: back / arms
    Day 3: legs / light back
    Day 4: shoulders / traps
    Day 5: Arms / chest
    Days 6 & 7 rest, rest…at age 61 I need those two days off I’ve found. This is working great for me
    Sick_beard
    Quote Originally Posted by warmouthView
    Personally, I like once a week on or off. No rhyme or reason other than I like to lift 4 days a week, maybe 1 or 2 days of abs, forearms, and calves (calves are 2x weekly as I do them on leg day). As far as squatting 3x weekly, BS all the way. Unless you are squatting at 30-40% on the first day and doing 1 low rep set, then upping to 50% the second and doing the same. Legs take so much out of me, they are the only group I work on that day. I am exhausted after I do legs. I couldnt imagine doing them more than once a week.

Ask ANYONE who’s adjusted their volume to allow for more frequency whether or not they’ve seen better muscle/ strength gains or not, and you’ll find the answer is always YES. But not everyone can do it. It took me nearly 2 months to make the transition from 1 body part split to training everything twice a week . Once you get your body in tune, the results are undeniably better.

Don’t get me wrong, you can still see gains doing what you’re doing. But you’re not maximizing your results. Your training can be effective, but doesn’t mean it’s efficient.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.